Raising the threat level...

I'm moving the dinosaur list to orange alert.  The timing of this
announcement has nothing to do with anything other than incoming
viruses.  I promise, and I have access to information that you don't.
The list address and various other addresses associated with it are
getting hit hard by one or more infected computers.  Hopefully that
fact is already somewhat obvious to you.  I announce it anyways here
for two reasons.

1) It's likely that some list subscribers have infected machines.
   Please make sure that you have anti-virus software functioning with
   the most recent updates and scan your machine's hard disk.  I have
   no way of determining whose machines are actually infected, so I
   fear I have no way to jar the individuals aside from an
   announcement such as this.

2) To avoid becoming another one of those with an infected machine,
   make sure that you know you will never get e-mail attachments from
   the dinosaur list except for attachments that contain only:

     *    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *

   If you receive any other attachment that claims to have been sent
   from owner-dinosaur@usc.edu or dinosaur@usc.edu, rest assured that
   it did not come from the list.  Delete it without making any
   attempts to view its content.

Please don't blame me.  I only pretend to work here.

--
Mickey Rowe     (rowe@psych.ucsb.edu)

P.S. Please don't take this message as an invitation to discuss the
problem with anyone other than me.  There should be no public replies
to this message without an explicit okey-dokey from me.  Thanks for
your cooperation.

P.P.S. If a message appeared to come from you and you know your
machine didn't send it, please don't write to apologize.  People need
to recognize by now that modern viruses rarely come from where they
claim to come from.