Re: Typical and less typical types

Christopher Taylor (ck.taylor@auckland.ac.nz) wrote:

<The cases mentioned by David are not part of the basic rules. ICZN
judgements refer to cases where, in order to maintain stability and stop
everyone going cross-eyed, the rules actually must be *broken*.>

  Or where the rules are deliberately hazy for the case of allowing people
to apply for a descision in times of conflict or vagary. This is the case
in regards to historical use of nomenclature, even if it defies the
general precedent or rules set forth by the ICZN (the descision regarding
*Coelophysis* was one such argument, even though the establishment of
*Rioarribasaurus* followed the ICZN correctly in the situation afforded).
These grey areas are allowed to permit debate and discussion, after which
a board then opines on the topic.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden