Re: Typical and less typical types

Short history of Art. 23b / 23.9.

The term nomen oblitum and the '50-year rule' (Art. 23b) were introduced
in the second edition of the ICZN (in force since 1961) and an expanded
version (including a qualifying clause to determine common usage: at least
5 different authors in at least 10 publications) replaced it through a
ruling by the Commission since 1970.

The third edition (1985) reduced the former Article 23b to a statement of
the purpose of the principle of priority (" ... not intended to be used to
upset a long-accepted name ... ") and an Article 79c containing the
qualifying clauses for a ruling by the Commission (older name not used
during preceding 50 years, junior name in use by at least 5 different
authors in at least 10 publications, etc.).

The fourth edition (1999) returned responsibility for certain cases to
individual authors; however, the qualifying clauses are much more rigid
than before. Art. 23.9. reads:
"23.9. Reversal of precedence. In accordance with the purpose of the
Principle of Priority [Art. 23.2.], its application is moderated as
follows:
23.9.1. prevailing usage must be maintained when the following conditions
are both met:
23.9.1.1. the senior synonym or homonym has not been used as a valid name
after 1899, and
23.9.1.2. the junior synonym or homonym has been used for a particular
taxon, as its presumed valid name, in at least 25 works, published by at
least 10 authors in the immediately preceding 50 years and encompassing a
span of not less than 10 years.
23.9.2. An author who discovers that both the conditions of 23.9.1 are met
should cite the two names together and state explicitly that the younger
name is valid, and that the action is taken in accordance with this
Article; at the same time the author must give evidence that the
conditions of Article 23.9.1.2 are met, and also state that, to his or her
knowledge, the condition in Article 23.9.1.1. applies. ...
23.9.6. The deliberate use of a name contrary to Art. 23.9.1, or the
mentioning of a name in a synonymy, or its mere listing in an abstracting
publication, or in a nomenclator or other index or list of names must not
be taken into account in determing usage under Art. 23.9.1.1 and
23.9.1.2."

In all other cases, when the precedence should be reversed, still a ruling
by the Commission is required.

Kind regards

Markus Moser

Dr. Markus Moser
Staatliches Museum fuer Naturkunde Stuttgart
Museum am Loewentor (= Rosenstein 1)
D-70191 Stuttgart
Germany
?