RE: "T. rex had explosive growth spurt as a teen, study says"

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> MKIRKALDY@aol.com
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2004-08-11-t-rex_x.htm
>
> "NEW YORK (AP) â Here's a dinosaur finding that parents can
> appreciate: The teenage Tyrannosaurus rex typically went through
> an explosive growth spurt, gaining nearly 5 pounds a day."
>
> "During that spurt, from ages 14 to 18, the creature picked up
> most of its eventual adult weight of around 6 tons, new research
> indicates. It stopped growing around age 20 and apparently died
> by age 30."
>
> This is a new paper in tomorrow's Nature, one of the authors
> being Gregory Erickson of Florida State University.  There are
> some fine quotes in the article from our own Tom Holtz.

Hmmm... I thought this was embargoed until later today...

I'll wait until the afternoon, and the online publishing of the actual paper,
for additional comments about it.  I will also have a special message from Greg
Erickson to the DML concerning the paper!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite