RE: "T. rex had explosive growth spurt as a teen, study says"

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
> > From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> > MKIRKALDY@aol.com
> >
> > http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2004-08-11-t-rex_x.htm
> >
> > "NEW YORK (AP) — Here's a dinosaur finding that parents can
> > appreciate: The teenage Tyrannosaurus rex typically went through
> > an explosive growth spurt, gaining nearly 5 pounds a day."
> >
> > "During that spurt, from ages 14 to 18, the creature picked up
> > most of its eventual adult weight of around 6 tons, new research
> > indicates. It stopped growing around age 20 and apparently died
> > by age 30."
> >
> > This is a new paper in tomorrow's Nature, one of the authors
> > being Gregory Erickson of Florida State University.  There are
> > some fine quotes in the article from our own Tom Holtz.
>
> Hmmm... I thought this was embargoed until later today...

Does this preclude mention in the press? It does quote Greg Erickson...
(you too in fact!)

> I'll wait until the afternoon, and the online publishing of the actual
> paper, for additional comments about it.  I will also have a special
> message from Greg Erickson to the DML concerning the paper!

The USAToday link has been pulled, as has one from the San Francisco
Chronicle, but these are still up

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20040811-0445-growingtrex.html

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2004/08/11/news/news7.txt