Press Embargoes: was RE: "T. rex had explosive growth spurt as a teen, study says"

> Does this preclude mention in the press? It does quote Greg Erickson...
> (you too in fact!)

It doesn't preclude talking to the press about it; the embargo is ON THE
PRESS ITSELF!!

The deal between scientific publications and the press is, basically, as
follow:
*Reporters are given access to preprint versions of forthcoming papers, so
that they can read it and get comments by the researchers and by others.
*This way, they can prepare stories for release when the embargo is off.
*The technical journals benefit in getting widespread reports of their new
articles.
*The press benefits by being able to have important timely articles.
*Researchers benefit because they can show their name in the paper to
friends, family, bosses... :-)

Of course, the deal really only works if everyone promises to obey the
rules.  Someone slipped in this case, and posted information ahead of time.
In the immortal words of Homer (Simpson): D'oh!!

> The USAToday link has been pulled, as has one from the San Francisco
> Chronicle, but these are still up

But they shouldn't be, at least for another hour... :-S

So you have to wait before I say anything more to the DML about this.  But I
promise: I have a DML exclusive.

That is, if you just... (everybody now)

Wait.

For.