RE: Press Embargoes: was RE: "T. rex had explosive growth spurt as a teen, study says"

Hi,

As "press" myself, I'd say NDAs (Non-Disclosure Agreements) are an
essential part of journalism - especially where the subject is difficult
or complex.  As a journalist, information is a pretty useless commodity
on its own - it needs context, clarification and balance, and you don't
get that in a taxi from the press conference to the office.

If you get a release, and have to go to press with it right away, the
chances are you don't understand the ramifications of it fully, and even
if you do, all you've got is one side of it, so your work will be biased
and incomplete (a fact used in manipulating the media by scientists, PR
people and politicians alike!)

I'd say if you've got anything worth making public, choose a group of
journalists, and tell it to them in advance - their chance of getting
the next story depends on them keeping quiet until the release, but your
chance of getting a balanced public view of your work will be much
improved.

The journalists WILL want to seek out and get comments from your worst
critics, and they WILL be able to ask you much more difficult questions,
but if you're confident in your work, and your ability to explain it,
that should never be a problem.

Christian Darkin