Re: More about Erickson et al. 2004 and RE: Delayed "growth spurt" in T. rex

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 Vorompatra@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/11/04 6:34:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> rtravsky@uwyo.edu writes:
>
> << On a related note, there was also recent work on differences in growth
> rates of captive vs wild chimpanzees (captive chimps matured faster).
>
> That would make an interesting study for rexes - captive vs wild... >>
>
> I don't know anything about this study--did they factor out better nutrition,
> medical care, etc.? IIRC, there's some correlation between these factors &
> younger menarche in adolescent girls, etc. Anyway, let us know how it goes
> with
> those captive theropods.

Abstract at

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/101/29/10541?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=chimpanzee+growth&searchid=1092281049119_8989&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0

UCSC press release at

 http://www.ucsc.edu/news_events/press_releases/text.asp?pid=526

Skeletal samples were used.

The full article is not yet freely available on PNAS yet.