Re: More about Erickson et al. 2004

a major problem is the low sample size for subadults and juveniles. Gorgosaurus
is valid and distinct from Albertosaurus as redefined by Currie last year as I
recall.

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology &
Chief Preparator
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205

Phone: (303)370-6392
Fax: (303)331-6492
email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org

For fun: http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Kcarpenter

>>> Mickey Mortimer <Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com> 11/Aug/04 >>>
A few things.

I thought AMNH 5428, AMNH 5432 and USNM 12814 were Gorgosaurus, not
Albertosaurus.

I also thought LAG's were unreliable for absolute age measurements, as they
could be caused by trauma and seasons of unusually low nutrition too.  But I
don't really follow the histological lit...

Could the aberrant growth trajectory of Tyrannosaurus be due to a few
species of different sizes being grouped together accidentally, ala
Olshevsky's hypothesis for Tarbosaurus?

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington