Re: Tyrannosaurid Growth Spurts

Mike Keesey (mightyodinn@yahoo.com) wrote:

<So that young tyrannosaurids were only able to obtain so much food and
build up their size slowly, until they reached a certain threshhold, at
which point they were able to go after larger prey, or fend off younger
tyrannosaurids from carcasses, or something, thus procuring much more
food, thus growing much bigger, thus procuring much MORE food, etc.>

  If there was a threshhold at which small size was maximal for small
prey, for a long period of time, this may allow elaboration that small
tyrannosaurs specialized in smaller prey, were cared for rather, or were
useful in communal hunting behavior as suggested by Currie ... oddly
enough, one of Erickson's co-authors. If the large maximal size reached
was done for only a short period of time, this also impacts in the
life-history strategies of an active predator versus an exclusive or
predominant scavenger, i.e., a smaller animal may have to eke out a living
scavenging, as Mike said, while the larger animals were predators. This
would be a reversal of what Horner has said, that a smaller animal was
more of a predator than the older animal, especially if more of its life
was spend much smaller.

  I would notice from this study that the bulk of *Tyrannosaurus*
specimens would seem to be subadults; preservational bias, or a reflection
of the concentration of subadults as the most active members of the
lifecycle?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden