Re: Tyrannosaurid Growth Spurts

Jaime A. Headden wrote:

>One of the reasons the initial assumption is that the smaller chase prey
>towards the larger, is that the larger are not as mobile, or fast, as the
>younger, and were prone to more damage. It is MUCH harder to hit a smaller
>target that is quick and agile than it is to hit a slower, larger object.<

Well yes. I mentioned that. Here's another way to view it: We can't all live in
a protective bubble now can we? Just because we like to walk around in pillow
armor doesn't mean everything else does. I think that Paul wrote something to
the list a while back about mountain goats and the dangerous lives they lead...
Lives that are so dangerous, that they shouldn't be allowed to live them. They
could... hurt themselves. Telling lions to quite trying to tackle cape buffalo
would also be a good idea. This could be why they are always rejected for life
insurance.

Again, as for the adults being not as mobile and fast as the youngins... I
looked at it in a different way than you did.

>>When the numerous young come dashing out from behind their duck blinds, they
>>could run to the left and to the right with greater ease than the larger
>>adults. This way, it is easier for the predators to inflict a great amount of
>>damage very fast, even to multiple prey items.<<

I guess this goes to show that there are oh so many interpretations once can
make, with no real way of knowing which is correct.

And yes... I do agree with you about the hit and run. It makes logical sense
that we were practicing the old art of "Kill by massive $%^&*@ trauma!". Hit it
and wait for it to bleed out... Great White shark vs. elephant seal style. Ya
don't want to be mortally injured by the thing you are trying to eat.

And just to mention it... I think that this idea is sometimes lost when we
start discussing theropod hunting strategies. We have the habit of
"Mammalizing" them. Again, I think it was Paul who once said something along
the lines of, "An allosaur who held on to an irrate apatosaur was a short-lived
allosaur." Wild dogs, lions, hyenas, wolves... all like to wrestle to the
ground or hold on to and suffocate their prey... Close quater combat. They are
built for it. Obviously, theropods were an entirely different ball of wax.

But anyway... Of course, we could be simply blowing smoke about this entire
thing.

Maybe there wasn't any sort of partitioned hunting strategy. Possibly,
conversations such the following didn't take place within your typical tyrant
family... "Jerry, you and your brothers and sisters wait over there behind
those trees while mommy and I chase dinner to you"... Or... "Jerry, please try
and make sure that your sister and brother steer dinner closure to your mother
and I this time." (Imagine the last one being said by Archie Bunker.) In stead,
maybe, it was a free for all... Lion style (simply for the sake of how we like
to comare big theropods to lions all the time).

Would make sense for you to grow up pretty freakin fast so that you could push
your way to the dinner table now wouldn't it? That is of course, if your family
sat down together for dinner to begin with.

Kris
http://hometown.aol.com/Saurierlagen/Paleo-Photography.html