Maryland Science Center

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Travel/US/Baltimore_museum_040813-1.html

B A L T I M O R E, Aug. 13, 2004  Dig for fossils, walk through a beating
heart, climb into a chimpanzees' nest and play tug-of-war to learn
physics.

All this and more is available to visitors at the Maryland Science
Center, which opened for the summer season this year after a $35 million
expansion and renovation with double the display space.
Paleontology and dinosaurs, perpetually fascinating to children, shape
the earth science and dinosaur hall, which features a giganotosaurus 45
feet long and 19 feet tall.

Paleontologist Kristi Curry Rogers of the Science Museum of Minnesota
served as a content adviser to the Maryland Science Center and will be
featured an exhibit video that shows how she does her job.

Visitors will be allowed to touch most dinosaurs. Playing paleontologist
by uncovering bones and fossils  is encouraged. Children will be able to
dig through sand pits with their hands and with tools used by
paleontologists to unearth discoveries.

"I've loved dinosaurs since I was a little kid and I wanted to be
paleontologist," Curry Rogers said. "Having a place like this when I was a
kid would have been really instrumental in making me realize it was
possible."

Visitors will learn about the extinct species by walking under the casts
of dozens of dinosaurs and they'll go nearly nose-to-nose with a
Tyrannosaurus rex that hangs from the ceiling. "It looks like it's about
to eat you," Cooks said.

Manjit Goldberg, project manager of the dinosaur hall, said visitors will
go home talking about Maryland's dinosaur  the Astrodon johnstoni, which
is shown being attacked by a meat-eating dinosaur.

"Kids know the names of dinosaurs. They know what they ate, they know all
about the time period of dinosaurs," Goldberg said. "It's really become
something they really love to talk about and to tell you about."