Re: Re. Birds hunting in cooperation

At 09:40 PM 8/14/2004, kustom66 wrote:
They do that to people too, round these parts!

No, they don't! Australian magpies (Gymnorhina tibicen) are completely different birds from the magpies of the Northern Hemisphere, which are members of the Crow family. The Australian birds belong to a uniquely Australasian family, Cracticidae, which also includes butcherbirds and Currawongs. Australian magpies, of course, are well known for dive bombing people.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned pelicans. A number of pelican species are well known for fishing in cooperative groups, acting to gather to herd fish into areas where they can be easily scooped up.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court