Re: Magpie mayhem

I can confirm that Australian magpies aren't glossy (they've been introduced
here in New Zealand), not in the way that _Pica pica_ is. Also, I've never
heard of any crow singing like an Australian magpie - Australian magpies
have quite complex songs, quite melodious if you can ignore the sheer
psychosis of the animal producing it (I seem to recall Pew the magpie trying
to take on Horse, which may just mean something to some listers out there
:-) )
    Offhand, the so-called 'Australo-Papuan songbirds' (Corvida of Sibley &
Monroe (1990)) now appear to be paraphyletic with regard to the Passerida,
containing most northern songbirds (but not crows). Barker, Cibois et al. in
the unfortunately-anagrammed PNAS a few weeks ago
(www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/101/30/11040) is the most recent I know
of, and has a roughly similar topology to what most studies have come up
with - in Sibley & Monroe's terminology, more or less Acanthisittidae
((Eurylaimides + Tyrannides)(Menuridae ((Climacteridae +
Ptilonorhynchidae)(Meliphagoidea (Corvoidea + Passerida))))),though each of
the last three groups would have to lose and gain some members. _Gymnorhina_
'magpies' and _Pica_ magpies are both Corvoidea, but not particularly close
in that group.

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor