A silly aside

Apparently, lions attack the calves of giraffes. (Their thighs are too high.)

Peter M

On Tuesday, August 17, 2004, at 01:51 AM, Lawrence_Dunn@smbcgroup.com wrote:

There was a recent programme on National Geographic that showed a pride
of lions attacking an adult elephant, which
may be analogous to a flock of therapods attacking a sauropod.

These were the Savuti lions, I assume. They are atypical even for lions,
and I'm surprised to read that they are hunting adults, as even they don't
generally hunt adult elephants, though I could see them perhaps taking a
sick or injured animal. They usually go for calves, in the evening. They
do take adult water buffalo, though, which is remarkable.