Roadrunners/dinos/and so forth

Beep, Beep! Thank you for the great roadrunner pictures. Last time I tried to get a roadrunner with my camera, I couldn't convince it to stand still long enough!

Seriously........

I've been a bit confused about "size" and the topic of non-flying hunting birds. How large is large? Where do penguins fit into this scheme?

Just a thought -- for those who are pursuing this in relation to the dinos.

Seriously, again...........

In June I had the opportunity to visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Calgary. Although I've been on this list for a fair number of years, I rarely post so probably most of you don't know that I am a biologist and not a paleontologist. (I could make a joke about living and formerly living -- but I won't.) I found the dinosaurs absolutely fascinating. The only problem I had was that I could not remember all the things I've learned by reading what you experts have posted. Now I know how students feel! I could have spent days at that museum.

Roberta Meehan, PhD (biologist -- aka, duck out of water on a dino list)

<<Dino Guy Ralph wrote:

Roadrunners may hunt in tandem with their mates. They aren't large
predators, but they do pursue their prey bipedally, rather than dive bombing
them. See http://www.math.wustl.edu/~brody/arizona/roadrunners.jpg. The
roadrunners aren't pursuing anything in this photo, but it happens anyway.

However, unlike tyrannosaurids, roadrunners eat their prey whole, which
tends to be rather small (although the birds will make their prey easier to
swallow by whacking the Jehosephatz out of them on rocks, breaking up their
bones). See
http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/lizard/Roadrunner_08-Hunted_a_lizard.jpg.

How does a roadrunner couple share its meals then, if they eat the animals whole? Alternating feeding? -------- "Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III Docent at the California Academy of Sciences proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology >>