Re: About the North American Titanosaurians

Rubén Juárez wrote-

> Hello, could somebody inform to me about the state of
> study in which are the possible rest of titanosaurian
> sauropods from the Lower and Middle Cretaceous of
> North America. Exsist some Titanosauria (sensu strict)
> previous to Alamosaurus confirmated from this
> continent.

Well, Titanosauria has been defined in four ways-
(Andesaurus + Epachthosaurus + Malawisaurus + Argentinosaurus + Titan B +
Opisthocoelicaudia + Aeolosaurus + Alamosaurus + Neuquensaurus +
Saltasaurus) Salgado et al. 1997
(Euhelopus > Saltasaurus) Sereno 1997
(Epachthosaurus + Saltasaurus + Argyrosaurus + Lirainosaurus + Titan B) Sanz
et al. 1999
(Andesaurus + Saltasaurus) Curry Rogers 2001

I suppose sensu stricto would be Sanz et al.'s definition, but when it comes
to titanosauriformes, who knows how they're related.  Here are Early
Cretaceous North American titanosauriformes in rough order of
brachiosaur-like to titanosaur-like.

Sauroposeidon Wedel, Cifelli and Sanders 2000
= "Sauroposeidon" Cifelli 1999
S. proteles Wedel, Cifelli and Sanders 2000
= "Sauroposeidon proteles" Cifelli 1999
Aptian-Albian, Early Cretaceous
Antlers Formation, Oklahoma, US

undescribed brachiosaurid (Burge, Bird, Britt, Chure and Scheetz, 2000)
Albian, Early Cretaceous
Ruby Ranch Member of Cedar Mountain Formation, Utah, US
Reference- Burge, Bird, Britt, Chure and Scheetz, 2000. A brachiosaurid from
the Ruby Ranch Mbr. (Cedar Mountain Fm.) near Price, Utah, and sauropod
faunal change across the Jurassic-Cretaceous boundary of North America. JVP
20(3) 32A.

Sonorosaurus Ratkevich 1998
= "Sonorasaurus" anonymous 1995
= "Chihuahuasaurus" anonymous 1997
S. thompsoni Ratkevich 1998
Albian, Early Cretaceous
Turney Ranch Formation, Arizona, US

Cedarosaurus Tidwell, Carpenter and Brooks 1999
C. weiskopfae Tidwell, Carpenter and Brooks 1999
Barremian, Early Cretaceous
Yellow Cat Member of Cedar Mountain Formation, Utah, US

Venenosaurus Tidwell, Carpenter and Meyer 2001
V. dicrocei Tidwell, Carpenter and Meyer 2001
Aptian-Albian, Early Cretaceous
Poison Strip Member of Cedar Mountain Formation, Utah, US

unnamed titanosauriform (Tidwell and Carpenter, 2003)
Late Aptian-Early Albian, Early Cretaceous
Glen Rose Formation, Texas, US
Reference- Tidwell and Carpenter, 2003. Braincase of an Early Cretaceous
titanosauriform sauropod from Texas. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology:
Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 176-180.

unnamed somphospondylian (Langston, 1974)
Aptian-Albian, Early Cretaceous
Glen Rose Formation, Paluxy Formation, Texas, US

undescribed lithostratian (Wedel, 2000)
Aptian-Albian, Early Cretaceous
Cloverly Formation, Montana, US
Reference- Wedel, 2000. New material of sauropod dinosaurs from the Cloverly
Formation. JVP 20(3) 77A.

undescribed titanosaurid (Britt, Stadtman, Scheetz and McIntosh 1997,
Kirkland, Lucas and Estep 1998)
Barremian, Early Cretaceous
Yellow Cat Member of Cedar Mountain Formation, Utah, US
Reference- Britt, Sheetz, McIntosh and Stadtman, 1998. Osteological
characters in an Early Cretaceous titanosaurid sauropod dinosaur from the
Cedar Mountain Formation of Utah. JVP 18(3) 29A.

undescribed titanosaurid (Tidwell, Carpenter and Brooks 1999)
Aptian, Early Cretaceous
Ruby Ranch Member of Cedar Mountain Formation, Utah, US
Reference- Tidwell, Carpenter and Brooks, 1999. New sauropod from the Lower
Cretaceous of Utah, USA. Oryctos 2: 21-37.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington