Re: Jurassic Park 4 Script Review

Scott Hartman wrote:

As for why not trees, because the ARE NOT built for it. Sure, they could get up in trees, just like goats can, but they aren't built to habitually utilize arboreal perches in their prey aquisition.

True: no non-avian theropod is specialized for tree-climbing or perching. Far from it, in fact. I think this also applies to _Archaeopteryx_, which has extremely rudimentary climbing and perching abilities.

However, it should be remembered that the vegetation was a lot different in the earlier Jurassic, back when theropods are thought to have first experimented with aerial locomotion. I think the prevalence of cycads would have made climbing and 'perching' a lot easier for small theropods.

Tim