Dromaeosaur climbing & propulsive abilities (was Re: Jurassic Park 4 Script Review)

I was referring to dromaeosaurs in general. I think the lil'uns could (and did) climb and jump out of trees, but as for the big'uns (_Deinonychus_ and their ilk), probably not.

> > I think we can also also agree that
> > _Microraptor_ was incapable of a running take-off.

I'm not sure...

Those hindlimb wings ("butt-fans") look maladapted for running - never mind building up speed for ground-level takeoff.

This brings to mind the thought I've recently had about using the sickle claw as a sort-of launch device, a possible 'nother reason for the switchblade action the enlarged pedal claw apparently portays - more of the implication in the larger dromaeosaurs later. Or maybe my brain's just releasing gas again . . ;)

Sure, Microraptor was utilizing its feathers in an aerodynamic fashion, but it is not at all obvious that is was the type of flight that you are thinkng of when you say it was "incapable of a running takeoff."

On that, has it been proven that the hind legs were held in a horizontal plane as Microraptor is often pictured? Or perhaps even which direction the feathers pointed?

It _would_ be nice to get full fluff, complete with tail fans and wings on the JP 'raptors.
For that matter, it'd be nice to get a T. Rex that could rightfully whoop a Spinosaurs arse. Must've been too lazy after all it's scavenging on that carcass before the humans disturbed it.
What would _Velociraptor_ use them for...?

What do young male humans use big-azz spoilers on the backs of their tricked out cars for? To attract the opposite sex. Also, to imply to the next man's stock car, "I'm bigger/better" than you.

Sure, they could get up in trees, just like goats can, but they aren't built to habitually utilize arboreal perches in their prey aquisition.

Hold on, goats can climb trees?! Mountain edges & cliffs are one thing, but trees?

I'm not clear what you mean here. When you say "leaping after prey" do you mean leaping off the ground in pursuit of terrestrial prey? If so, why is this better than just simply running after the prey (i.e., the "old-fashioned" way)?

Has anyone done any comparisons between dromaeosaur hindlimbs & kangaroos, the qunitessential 'hoppers' of our day? Besides launching from trees or a running start, hopping/leaping is the next logical precursor to wanting to increase hangtime. Which brings me back to my first point on spring-loaded toe claws. Given that they're pretty round in cross section and less made for slicing, it may be a possibility that may have used them to sort of anchor, then using the spring loaded action(lol, G.I. Joe) used them to slingshot themselves forward. Only they couldn't do this on rocks. They could off a branch though. . .