Re: Dromaeosaur climbing & propulsive abilities (was Re: Jurassic Park 4Script Review)

> This brings to mind the thought I've recently had about using the > sickle claw as a sort-of launch device, a possible 'nother reason for > the switchblade action the enlarged pedal claw apparently portays...

Dromaeosaur sickle claws would have been poor climbing or launching
devices. They were too thin and blade-like, built more for penetration
than holding. Most climbing claws tend to be circular or ovoid in
cross-section.

If a dromaeosaur tried to push off with its sickle claws, there was a
greater chance of it sinking its claws deeper into a substrate than
pushing the animal up and away.

I agree, more of a hindrance than a help for this particular function.

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.ravencommunity.net/

Chris Glen
PhD candidate,
School of Biomedical Science
Anatomy and Developmental Biology Dept.,
University of Queensland
Q 4072, AUSTRALIA
Room: 418
Phone: (07) 3365 2720
Mob: 0408 986 301
Email: c.glen@.uq.edu.au
\
\
*
<`\
\_ \ / ,\
"" ""
~QQ>
~QQ>
One Late Mesozoic mammal to an other after a hard day of dodging
dinosaur feet and droppings, only to find their burrow trampled:
"Hey, a falling star, make a wish."