RE: LAG (was Tyrannosaurid Growth Spurts)

Dear List,

As a palaeohistologist I have followed this tyrannosaur bone histology
discussion with interest. I haven't got a copy of the Nature paper, because
my institution does not have a library. Anyone got a PDF?

Mammals and birds can exhibit LAG within their bones. Conversely, many
reptiles do not have them, or have them only rarely, and may also have
Haversian systems, which we associate with 'warm bloodedness'. However, some
dinosaur bones often contain many LAG- see for instance the sauropod limb
material published by Martin Sander recently, and which was mentioned by
someone on the list.

The important factor in bones is the level of vascularisation. It is
possible for an animal to grow rapidly (highly vascular bone) but
discontinuously (presence of LAG, with or without zones and annuli, for
example some pterosaurs). I think too much importance is placed upon LAG. As
many people have shown, they are not necessarily linked to annual growth
cycles. The main caveat in this field is that different bones from the same
individual can exhibit quite different histology. Anyone wanting more info
should look at anything by de Ricqles, Chinsamy, Reid, Castanet, Sander and
de Buffrenil. Apologies to any other authors that I've forgotten!

Lorna

"Isle of Wight Councils Mail System" made the following annotations.
Important Information - Disclosure, Confidentiality and Monitoring of this email

This email communication may be monitored by the Isle of Wight Council for
regulatory, quality control, or crime detection purposes.

If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender as soon as
possible. It is intended only for the personal attention of the named person,
firm or company to whom it is addressed.  It may contain information that is
privileged and confidential in law.  Accordingly any unauthorised
dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its
content by any other person may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law
and is strictly prohibited. No mistake in transmission is intended to waive or
compromise any such privilege.  Any views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Isle
of Wight Council.

The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to disclosure to third
parties under either the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Freedom of Information
Act 2000 to the extent the law allows and in accordance with the Isle of Wight
Council's policies on information management. (If you wish the disclosure of
the information in any reply to be restricted please make this clear in your
response).