Re: Plesiopterys, new plesiosaur from Germany

<Not at all. Look where s and x are on your keyboard. :-(

That doesn't quite explain why it's seemingly spelled that way every time,
though. ~:-|>

  Using -pterys instead of -pteryx has nothing to do with the proximity of
S and X on an English Ascii keyboard, but a traditional proactice, even if
it's less traditional to use in birds or dinosaurs than using -pteryx is.
First, the pronounciation is either softer, or easier, to make; second,
plants and some birds use the softer -pterys or even -pteris, so this is
hardly unique; third, there is nothing really "wrong" about using -s
instead of -x at the end, since the root is identified and formed
correctly, though the final product of a noun was modified for the use of
the word. F. Robin O'Keefe is a poster on the vrtpaleo list, so it is very
possible that one can ask for himself (rokeefe@iris.nyit.edu I think is
the current email).

  Cheers,

=====