Re: Major new paper on dromaeosaurids, with other significant maniraptoran info

Thomas Holtz wrote-

> Senter, P., Barsold R., B.B. Britt & D.A. Burnham. 2004. Systematics and
> evolution of Dromaeosauridae (Dinosauria, Theropoda). Bulletin of the
Gunma
> Museum of Natural History 8: 1-20.

*head explodes*

> A new phylogenetic analysis of dromaeosaurids and related taxa, with a
> number of new character states examined.  Here's the results in outline
form
> (OTUs marked with *):
> Allosaurus*
> Coelurosauria
> Tyrannosaurus*
> adv. coelurosaurs
> Ornitholestes*
> even more adv. coelurosaurs
> Sinosauropteryx*
> Maniraptoriformes
> Arctometatarsalia
> Ornithomimosauria
> Pelecanimimus*
> Struthiomimus*
> Troodontidae
> Byronosaurus*
> adv. troodontids
> Sinornithoides*
> even more adv. troodontids
> Troodon*
> Saurornithoides mongoliensis*
> Saurornithoides junior*
> Maniraptora
> Oviraptorosauria
> Protarchaeopteryx (= Incisivosaurus)*
> adv. oviraptorosaurs
> Khaan*
> Caudipteryx*
> Paraves
> Aves
> Archaeopteryx*
> Ornithurae
> Rahonavis*
> Jeholornis*
> Pygostylia
> Sinornis*
> Yanornis*
> Deinonychosauria
> Sinovenator*
> adv. deinonychosaurs
> Microraptoria nov. taxon
> Bambiraptor*
> Chinese microraptorians
> Sinornithosaurus*
> adv. Chinese microraptorians
> NGMC 91*
> Microraptor
> M. zhaoianus*
> "M. gui"*
> "Cryptovolans"*
> Dromaeosauridae
> Velociraptor*
> Dromaeosaurinae
> Adasaurus*
> adv. dromaeosaurines
> Saurornitholestes*
> more dromaeosaurines
> Deinonychus*
> even more droms.
> Achillobator*
> last node
> Utahraptor*
> Dromaeosaurus*

I like tyrannosaurs being basal to 'basal coelurosaurs', which in turn are
not maniraptoriform. :)
Based on some constraint analyses I've been trying, I think
arctometatarsalian troodontids force Sinovenator out of the family.  Simply
put, Sinovenator is a good eumaniraptoran basal troodontid, but not a good
arctometatarsalian basal troodontid.  It's like if you force birds to be
closer to oviraptorosaurs, things like Shenzhouraptor and Rahonavis are too
deinonychosaur-like to stay in Aves, and jump over to Microraptoria.
Interesting that NGMC 91 is closer to Microraptor than Sinornithosaurus, but
the Microraptoria agrees with both mine and Xu's recent results.
Dromaeosaurine Deinonychus?  How familiar....  Though I really didn't expect
Adasaurus to be that basal.  With Barsbold as an author, we can hope for
useful codings for it.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington