Re: Fair (or unfair) use of images.

Fair use allows the _personal use_ of copyrighted material, so anyone can copy images from your web site for their "personal" use -- but that does not include republishing them on the web or on paper. That is, there's nothing you can do to stop them from making personal copies or showing them privately to their friends. But you can demand that they remove the images from their web site.

If you have registered copyright in your images, US law allows you to sue for "statutory damages" that are provided for in law whether or not the copyright infringer has made any profit from them. One article that describes this (in context of copying music files) is at
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2000-all/landau-2000-10-all.html

There also is information on the US government copyright office site:
http://www.copyright.gov/

The boundaries of fair use are hazier for quotes excerpted from text, but they're clear for images.
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer