RE: The pterosaur in the egg: a new report

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Phil Bigelow
>

> Nomen nudum:  A taxonomic name held to be invalid, because the taxonomic
> group designated is not described or illustrated sufficiently for
> recognition.  The name has not yet been published with a proper
> scientific description.
>
> Further, to be considered valid, the name must be published in a form
> that is widely and easily available to the masses.  I don't know if
> _Prehistoric Times_ fulfills that criterium.

Another thing to consider: it is considered very bad form in science to coin
new names for specimens to which you've never been in close physical
proximity... Similarly, to specimens which others are currently working on.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite