Re: rules for family citations

Thanks to Jaime and David for their comments on this.

Cheers
Colin

Jaime A. Headden wrote:

Colin McHenry (cmchenry@westserv.net.au) wrote:

<My question concerns the nomenclatural rules for citing a family when the
original use of the name was in a context other than the classical family
level - i..e. when the name was originally coined as a subfamily,
superfamily, tribe etc.>

Rules for family-level taxa are covered in the current, 4th edition of
the Code by Article 29 (Formation and treatment of family-group names);
all of Chapter 8 (Family-group nominal taxa and their names), including
Articles 35-41; Article 55 for homonymy in family-group names; Chapter 14,
including Articles 62-65, regarding types in the family-group. According
to these, specifically Article 36, the Principle of Coordination:

 "A name established for a taxon at any rank in the family group is
deemed
  to have been simultaneously established for nominal taxa at all other
  ranks in the family group [JAH: superfamily, family, subfamily, tribe,
  subtribe, and unrecognized "informal ranks" between these, including
  them in the same group, or included BY them in the same group]; all
  these taxa have the saem type genus, and their names are formed from
the
  stem of the name of the type genus [Art. 29.3] with appropriate change
  of suffix [Art. 34.1]. The name has the same authorship and date at
  every rank."

<Specifically;

The citation for the plesiosaur Family Rhomaleosauridae is usually given
in recent literature as Kuhn 1961. However, as Ben Creisler points out in
his plesiosaur pronunciation guide
<http://www.dinosauria.com/dml/names/ples.html> the name Rhomaleosaurinae
was coined by Nopsca in 1928. Ben lists the citation as "Rhomaleosauridae
Kuhn 1961 (ex Rhomaleosaurinae Nopsca 1928) ", but given what I remember
from the discussion on the list last year about this sort of thing, should
the citation be instead; " Rhomaleosauridae Nopsca 1928", or even;
"Rhomaleosauridae Nopsca 1928 (sensu Kuhn 1961).>

 The articles state that the family-group name must be explicitly named
[Art. 11.7.1], not implied by formation of a genus into a larger clade or
ranked taxon. Thus, if the first family-group name was formed by Nopsca,
then he becomes the author of note, not Kühn. If corrections are made to
the name, the same applies: first author coining, not correcting author,
is cited [Art. 11.7.1.3].

 Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden

Little steps are often the hardest to take. We are too used to making leaps in the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do. We should all learn to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

-- ***************** Colin McHenry School of Environmental and Life Sciences (Geology) University of Newcastle Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia Tel: +61 2 4921 5404 Fax: + 61 2 4921 6925

******************
Colin McHenry & Sarah Johnston