Re: The pterosaur in the egg: a new report

Just for the record, I agree fully with all Dave Marjanovic said.

David Marjanovic wrote:

I don't know Greek, but the usual prefix used for "egg" is oo-... Is
*Oodectes* preoccupied? ~:-|

Yep, it is a caniform.

Oodectes (Wortman, 1901)
   O. herpestoides (Wortman, 1901)
   O. proximus (Matthew, 1909)

Phil Bigelow wrote:

Nomen nudum:  A taxonomic name held to be invalid, because the taxonomic
group designated is not described or illustrated sufficiently for
recognition.  The name has not yet been published with a proper
scientific description.

Further, to be considered valid, the name must be published in a form
that is widely and easily available to the masses.  I don't know if
_Prehistoric Times_ fulfills that criterium.

I think it all depends on wether Dave Peters _intended_ this article to be a description./

Prehistoric Times/ is available to the masses (definately moreso than most scientific journals) and apparently some have found it being sold in magazine stands, so that is out of the question.

Mike Hanson
Email: mhanson54@comcast.net
Website: http://www.archosauria.org
The Pterosauria: http://www.archosauria.org/pterosauria/