RE: Major new paper on dromaeosaurids, with other significant maniraptoran info

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

Senter, P., Barsold R., B.B. Britt & D.A. Burnham. 2004. Systematics and
evolution of Dromaeosauridae (Dinosauria, Theropoda). Bulletin of the Gunma
Museum of Natural History 8: 1-20.

Somebody showed me a copy - so I don't have reprints (alas) to pass around.

A few tidbits:

Senter et al. (2004) re-interpret the element described by Perle et al. (1999) as a second pedal ungual as a first manual ungual.

They dispute the presence of an enlarged second pedal ungual in _Jeholornis_, and point out that is no larger (relative to phalanx II-2) than that of _Archaeopteryx_ or other Mesozoic birds (aside from _Rahonavis_, wich does have an enlarged second pedal ungual).

As Tom mentioned, _Incisivosaurus_ is considered a junior synonym of _Protarchaeopteryx_, giving the new combination _P. gauthieri_.

The new clade Microraptoria is defined as taxa that are more closely related to _Microraptor_ than to _Velociraptor_.

Also, as previously mentioned, the three Jiufotang microraptorians (_Microraptor zhaoianus_, _M. gui_, _Cryptovolans pauli) are considered synonymous.

Tim

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx