Re: Registration

David Marjanovic wrote:

> Never is this apparently more true than in governments who's
> systems are run essentially by committee, as many Americans can tell you.

Can't be possibly worse than in Austria. :o)

I would go out on a limb and say that, for all its imperfections, "government by committee" is a vast improvement on how Austria was run before 1945.

;-)

        In the current situtation, *Avgodectes* would either be registered
or not, and that would preclude the discussion we're having.

From this perspective, registration is a good idea. Too much time is spent
debating whether a name is nomenclaturally valid or not: Avgodectes, Allosaurus whitei, Tyrannosaurus stanwinstonorum, Archaeoraptor, Otogosaurus etc etc etc. Registration would remove this perennial bugbear. We've come along way with taxonomic and phylogenetic methods, but the rules of nomenclature keeping on hitting the same road bumps over and over again.

Tim

(It couldn't
get registered without having a phylogenetic definition, however -- _even if
registered before publication_.)