Re: Major new paper on dromaeosaurids, with other significant maniraptoran info

Tim Williams (twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com) wrote:

<<Senter et al. (2004) re-interpret the element described by Perle et al.
(1999) as a second pedal ungual as a first manual ungual.>>

and David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) replied:

<That explains something! :-)>

  Explains what?

  Note: http://dino.lm.com/images/display.php?id=1815. I was never fond on
the idea of such a clae morphology on the pes, when it appeared,
superficially so, as a manual claw, due in part to the shape of the flexor
tubercle and the resemblance of the so-called second pedal phalanx of
digit II to a troodontid pes, not a dromaeosaurid one, suggesting the claw
on it might be smaller than the ungual as described.

<Many thanks for alerting me that they're from the Jiufotang Formation.
I've read the description of *M. zhaoianus* several times, but I hadn't
noticed that it's not from the Yixian Fm, even though the description
makes it very clear!!!>

  It's history has been strongly associated in the past that the Yixian
Fm. included a large 20-30my span, later broken into the upper, middle,
and lowest level faunae, identified as Jiufotang, Yixian, and Chaomidianzi
Formations. David himself has noted this:

  http://dml.cmnh.org/2002Jun/msg00287.html

  The underlying Tuchengzi (earliest Cretaceous?) and the Daohugao (also
earliest Cretaceous, or latest Jurassic?) Formations need more
investigation, done for the most part on the Tuchengzi, but not on the
Daohugao.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden