Re: Major new paper on dromaeosaurids, with other significant maniraptoran info

> Tim Williams (twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com) wrote:
>
> <<Senter et al. (2004) re-interpret the element described by Perle et al.
> (1999) as a second pedal ungual as a first manual ungual.>>
>
> and David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) replied:
>
> <That explains something! :-)>
>
>   Explains what?

That *Dromaeosaurus* was... oopsie. :-] :-] :-] I overlooked that they're
talking about *Achillobator*. I must be spending too much time on that other
mailing list.

>   It's history has been strongly associated in the past that the Yixian
> Fm. included a large 20-30my span, later broken into the upper, middle,
> and lowest level faunae, identified as Jiufotang, Yixian, and Chaomidianzi
> Formations. David himself has noted this:
>
>   http://dml.cmnh.org/2002Jun/msg00287.html

Oh. Please note that the Chaomidianzi Fm has been dropped, and seemingly
never was official; no boundary could be established. Its members are now
AFAIK considered members of the Yixian Fm.

More importantly, I was talking about the fact that the description of *M.
zhaoianus* (2000) says clearly that it's from the Jiufotang Fm which is
overlying the Yixian Fm, and about the fact that I had overlooked this each
and every time.

>   The underlying Tuchengzi (earliest Cretaceous?)

"The upper part of the Tuchengzi Formation can be referred to the Early
Cretaceous." The rest is not dated; the one date for the upper part is
around 140 Ma.
/http://dml.cmnh.org/2002Jan/msg00515.html

> and the Daohugao (also earliest Cretaceous, or latest Jurassic?)
Formations

Daohugou*? What about the (original) suggestion of it being Middle Jurassic?

* Pronunciation: "Dow" as in Dow Jones, "who", "go". :^)