Intercode homonyms (was Re: Registration)

----- Original Message -----
From: "T. Michael Keesey" <mightyodinn@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 11:52 PM

> One possibility I'll throw out there is to suggest adding prefixes to the
> younger names: perhaps "Phyto-" if covered by the ICBN, "Zoo-" if covered
by
> the ICZN, and "Monero-" if covered by the BC. Thus the animal _Gastonia_
could
> be converted as Zoogastonia, etc. Perhaps this is unnecessary, but it
seems to
> me it would help speed up and smoothen out the conversion process.

Yes. But in a few cases, I'd suggest looking at the meaning of the word.
*Ficus*, a genus of trees as well as of clams, is such a case: the Latin
word means "fig", and the clams are probably named after looking like figs.
I'd say that the name should stay with the trees regardless of priority (I
don't know which has priority).

However, this is only an issue for names that will actually get converted.
Perhaps one of the two *Ficus* will turn out to be so paraphyletic that
conversion would be disruptive to nomenclature; in that case it'll just drop
out of the problem.