Re: SVP 2004

I would add that tamanduas and other anteaters have quite
long forelimbs, whereas those of alvarezsaurs are short and stubby.

I think this is because the anteaters suffer from a constraint: their forelimbs must be long enough for walking, or at least climbing. The bipedal alvarezsaurs (and, while I am at it, tyrannosaurs) were able to fully exploit the mechanical advantage of "reducing the arms to the max" -- this brings the distal ends of the bones closer to the muscle attachment sites, and this in turn increases the force that can be applied (at the expense of speed, which is probably useless in these cases).