Re: Metaves and Coronaves

Molecules certainly help, but they are not the final arbiter.

Oh, sure. Mayr has made a good case for (*Scopus* + (*Balaeniceps* + Steganopodes)), which consists of two clades in a large polytomy in Fain & Houde, for example. But, except for the preliminary results of Livezey & Zusi, no large-scale morphological neornithine analysis exists yet. We'll have to wait for the big thing...

Besides, I think large indels can be regarded as de facto morphological characters -- as long as the alignment is correct, and Fain & Houde have shown that theirs is correct enough.