Re: Metaves and Coronaves

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:20 PM

I am troubled, though, by the fact that the analysis did not recover a
monophyletic Falconiformes. I'm not all that surprised by the exclusion of
the Cathartidae; but Falconidae is not part of a well-supported
Sagittariidae+Pandionidae+Accipitridae clade (a Falconiformes "core", as the
paper puts it).

I'm more surprised by the recovery of Ciconiidae and Cathartidae in positions that seem to be pretty far apart. But then the evidence to link these two seems to be, if I remember correctly what little I ever knew, sort of similar to the evidence for a flamingo-duck link...

However, the phylogeny in Faine and Houde (2004) does not show an explicit
grebe+flamingo clade. but puts flamingoes next to nighthawks
(Caprimulgidae). The bootstrap support is weak, so this section of the
Metaves tree (basal Metaves - where the caprimulgiforms, pigeons and hoatzin
also end up) would collapse into a polytomy.

The clade which includes all but the hoatzin does have a bootstrap of a bit over 50. (Which is why I wondered whether the proposed morphological synapomorphies of hoatzin + seriemas could be neoavian synapomorphies.)