Did E. D. Cope meet G. A. Custer shortly before the Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876?

Good day,
I've read in one of my books, that E. D. Cope who was in Montana during the
infamous battle was also one of the first who read the last message of Custer,
the one he wrote in a tavern few days before the battle. Cope made a rest there
and studied the letter himself (or it was being read to him). The final note
was something like: "...we have found indians. We're going after them. I don't
know if all of us will return." I wonder if the ever met each other, as their
opinions were quite similar. Thanks, Vlad
http://www.bezpecnyinternet.cz
http://ad.seznam.cz/clickthru?spotId=80833