Re: Merry Christmas to all and 220th Anniversary of pterosaur discovery

Hopefully, I can rescue Jane's post from the FORBIDDEN ZONE and save
Christmas!

Jdhexen@aol.com writes:

<< Buckland commented in his Bridgewater Treatise  1837   "the structure of
these animals is so exceedingly anomalous that the first discovered
Pterodactyle
was considered by one naturalist to be a bird, by another as a species of
bat,
and by a third as a flying reptile."  He goes on to comment that Cuvier
figures out what the animal should be as to classification, although Buckland
didn't
mention who the others were.
See Volume I  Section VIII pp. 221-222  I used the Elibron reprint series,
but I think the pagination equates with original editions.     Ok
pteroscholars
out there, who were the its a bird, its a bat guys? Jane Davidson >>