From: "Mar Qos Aker" <marqosaker@yahoo.com>
To: <edels@msn.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: Quakes Shift Whole Island Of Sumatra...

> Allan Edels <edels@msn.com> wrote:
> David:
>
> The initial reports said it was an 8.9 magnitude, but later reports have
it
> as a 9.0 (tieing a Russian quake [Kamchatka?] for the 4th strongest known
> recorded earthquake). The scale is logarithmic which means that a 9 is 10
> times more powerful than an 8. [But I really didn't need to tell you
that -
> that's just for our viewers :-) ].
>

> >I thought it was 8.9 (isn't 9.0 about, like, half again as strong as
8.9?),
> >and I thought it was 25 km = 15.6 miles beneath the surface?
>
> Does a magnitude of 9 in earthquakes mean 10 times or 2 times as strong as
an earthquake with magnitude of 10. I would appreciate a reference, if I am
wrong. I thought it was a natural log. . . like e or whatever. I admit
hereby my ignorance. I fairly ignorant about deenos, as my posts have made
plain, but I am out of my league with earthquakes, other than seismos is gk
for earthquake, or just quake, which is my point.

> Thanks for the jawboning. To be able to celebrate New Year's for the
fourth time in the last four months and with you deeno lovers is my greatest
discovery, else I would not not of the discoveries that you all have shared
with me. Again many thanks.  Marc Bauer