Hoatzin & Archaeopteryx

Just thinking, has anybody compared the skeletons of Archaeopteryx. Especially with the controversy regarding manual digits 1,2,3 & 4 in theropods & extant birds, this could prove interesting. I've been wondering if the Hoatzin could be a late-surviving Archaeopteryid[to coin a phrase] - which would somewhat explain it being the only extant member of it's family or an example of regressive evolution, as has been suggested.
As a side note, not much has been said of Protoavis. I understand that the remains are fragmentary. Can it be discerned from what information is available whether Protoavis may have possibly been an ancestor of Archaeopteryx, or an example of convergent evolution, as in phytosaurs & crocodilians?