For the artists: Fuertes Revisited

Back in 1926/1927 the great American bird-painter, Louis Agassiz Fuertes,
participated in an expedition to Ethiopia (then Abyssinia). His field studies
in
watercolor were reproduced in several publications. Unfortunately, these were
among the last of Fuertes' works, as shortly after returning home to Ithaca,
N.Y., Fuertes was killed when his car was struck at a railroad grade crossing.
The Ethiopian studies were in the car, but were thrown free in the collision
and were saved. The website below has several superb examples. Often when I see
dinosaur restorations I find that the depiction of the eyes is often the
weakest part. Fuertes was the master of the subtleties of depicting avian eyes
and
these images serve as an especially good lesson in how to do it. DV
http://www.classicnatureprints.com/pr.Fuertes%20Abyssinian%20Birds/Fuertes.Aby
ssinian.Index1.html