Re: Fukuiraptor, Chuandongocoelurus and Kaijiangosaurus

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<He pointed out the presacrals of Chuandongocoelurus are too large for the
rest of the skeleton, and the femur of Kaijiangosaurus is too small for
the rest of its skeleton.  Looks like we have two chimaeras on our hands.>

  Both taxa, if I recall correctly, are composed of multiple specimens,
which _do_ show size variation amongst one another. In either case, the
apparent overlap in material is largely only vertebral or based on
associated of elements. But if this is true, so too should the entire
hypodigm of *Fukuiraptor* be doubted. Portions of the skull of
*Fukuisaurus* (the iguanodont) were not found at the same time, either,
and this also lends either doubt or support to identification of a
generalized assembly of bones to a singular taxonomic affinity. Of course,
I always loved testing this stuff out :). Mickey and I have talked about
the chimaeric qualities of *Chuandongcoelurus* before, though, so this
shouldn't come as a surprise.

=====
Jaime A. Headden