Re: extinction

Response to Phil Bigelow's Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:53:07 post (below the dashed line).

Dear Phil, your suggestion on use of falsification (albeit on stratigraphy) in K-T science really struck close to home.

The K-T impact versus volcanism debate began at the May 1981 K-TEC II meeting in Ottawa, Canada, when I first encountered the Alvarez impact team. At that time, the K-T iridium was the sole basis for a K-T impact event.

At that meeting, I discussed how the Deccan Traps volcanism might have released the K-T iridium onto earth's surface. I had already made the connection between the Deccan Traps volcanism, a K-T carbon cycle perturbation, the mass extinctions, and the K-T iridium, at the January 1981 AAAS national meeting in Toronto.

My work caught Luis Alvarez by surprise. When I equivocated the basis of his impact theory by suggesting a source for the iridium other than impact, he became terribly upset with me. A word-by-word transcription of our public exchange can be found in the K-TEC II Proceedings volume, "Cretaceous-Tertiary Extinctions and Possible Terrestrial and Extraterrestrial Causes," Syllogeus, No. 39, 1982.

To make a long story short, I felt that for Alvarez to continue his claim that the K-T iridium was "proof" that an impact event had triggered the K-T extinctions, he would have to falsify my argument that the Deccan Traps might have been the source of the iridium.

Cordially,
Dewey McLean

Before the multiple impact hypothesis is widely accepted, the
single-impact/redepostion hypothesis should first be falsified.  This
would involve studying the *micro*stratigraphy of K-T outcrops where the
layer(s) are well-defined, looking for evidence of current-imposed
micro-structures and textures.  Obviously, this is more along the lines
of Masters- or PhD-level work.