Re: Carcharodontosaurus

Marco Auditore (maaudito@tin.it) wrote:

<Hi to all, I'm drawing a skeletal reconstruction of Carcharodontosaurus
saharicus for new Italian journal "DINOSAURI", and I need help. I've seen
that the vertebral element assigned to this species are really
fragmentary. The most "complete" remains are those of Sigilmassasaurus
brevicollis (assigned by Sereno to Carcharodontosaurus), but all the
illustrated vertebrae, either cervical, dorsal and caudal, have the
extremity of the neural spine absent for bad preservation, apart one: a
distal caudal with a tall neural spine. Is not possible that
Carcharodontosaurus had a dorsal sail like those of Acrocanthosaurus
(which had a strictly relationship with C.)? There is someone that know if
there are complete presacral vertebrae of this genus?>

  Well ... *Acrocanthosaurus* has been linked more strongly by Holtz,
Currie, and others to *Allosaurus* than to *Carcharodontosaurus* or
*Giganotosaurus,* but in all these, aside from the unique nature of
*Acrocanthosaurus,* only *A. atokensis* has the tall neural spines. This
suggests it is not as likely that *Carcharodontosaurus* would have tall
spines than short. Both are possible, however. The cervicals of
*Carcharodontosaurus* and *Acrocanthosaurus* differ strongly in the shapes
of the cervical vertebra, including relative depth and shape of the base
of the neural spine, in which the latter has a longer base craniocaudally
than does the former. The cross-sections are similar, however; I don't
know the basal shape in *Giganotosaurus* for what cervicals are apparently
known, but this is far smaller than in *Allosaurus,* which are more blade
like. Those spines in Carch cervicals appear to be narrow, and not
blade-like, similar enough to Acro that one can suggest it had similarly
shaped, if not shorter or taller, spines. But one should render this with
caution.

=====
Jaime A. Headden