RE: the Eurypoda and Thyreophoroidea fall into

Lida Xing wrote-

I want to know what were the Eurypoda and Thyreophoroidea(Thyreophora forms) fall into ? the "Suborder" ?or "Infraorder" ?

Most biologists recognize that ranks such as "suborder" and "infraorder" are meaningless. There are many posts in the DML Archives dealing with this subject. These thyreophoran clades are a good example of why it's difficult to use Linnaean ranks now. According to the Zoological Record, Ornithischia is an order, and Ankylosauria is a suborder. Below are two possible topologies for Thyreophora, and their respective taxonomies.

after Sereno
Ornithischia (order)
Genasauria
Thyreophora
Thyreophoroidea
Eurypoda
Ankylosauria (suborder)

Ornithischia
|--Lesothosaurus
`--Genasauria
  |--Cerapoda
  `--Thyreophora
     |--Scutellosaurus
     `--Thyreophoroidea
        |--Scelidosaurus
        `--Eurypoda
           |--Stegosauria
           `--Ankylosauria

after Carpenter
Ornithischia (order)
Genasauria
Thyreophora
Eurypoda
Ankylosauromorpha
Ankylosauria (suborder)

Ornithischia
|--Lesothosaurus
`--Genasauria
  |--Cerapoda
  `--Thyreophora
     |--Scutellosaurus
     `--Eurypoda
        |--Stegosauria
        `--Ankylosauromorpha
           |--Scelidosaurus
           `--Ankylosauria

In both examples, we have four ranks between order and suborder that would need to be named in the Linnaean system. And once we place taxa like Bienosaurus, Tatisaurus, Emausaurus and others in the topology, we may need even more. It's best just to not use ranks.

Mickey Mortimer

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up ? fast & reliable Internet access with prime features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1