Re: extinction (long)

Tommy Tyrberg wrote:

> Admittedly high-energy objects that had completed one or more orbits might
> impact practically anywhere, but by this time (at least a couple of hours
> after the impact), the flux would have been to low for ignition.

I don't follow.  Would you elaborate please?

BTW, your whole post was superbly presented.  More comments below.

> It will
> also mostly remain in the hemisphere where it was formed, since there is
> relatively little tropospheric exchange across the tropical zone. This is
> supported by experience. Volcanic debris from explosive eruptions, which is
> lofted to the stratosphere, spreads world-wide. Examples: Pinatubo,
> Krakatoa, Tamboro. Smoke, even from very large fires, does not.

I would not bet on no short-term disruption of the tropospheric exchange
rate (or lack thereof).  Volcanos may not be a valid predictor with
impactors of this size, and with this amount of water vapor added to the
hydrologic cycle.

> If the total amount of vaporized seawater was 10^12 tons (the  figure of
> 3-7 x 10^11 tons seems definitely on the low side)

Don't it though.  Seems way low to me.

> The tsunamis ...., but on the other hand it would have
> violently disturbed vast amounts of sediment that would normally never be
> affected by wave action.

Didn't it collapse the eastern slopee of the entire continental shelf
from Florida north to the Grand Banks of Newfoudland, with the slide
spreading east to the mid-Atlantic ridge?  What sort of tsunamis would
the shelf slide have created?

 Large-scale shelf collapse and turbidity-currents
> are likely and a major ?belch? of methane from methane hydrates is quite
> possible.

See above.  Borings indicate the slide ranged from about 1 to 15 meters
in depth.