emu history

Hello,

My name is Nancy Cavanaugh. I am currently writing a book about the emu.
In doing my research I have found some discrepancies about when they
appeared on Earth.

The commonest answer is 80 million years ago, which from my reading was
determined in 1971 (or was it in 1973? the research I've done indicates
both years) by Joel Carcraft. Today, however, I tripped across a site
that said they couldn't have arrived before 45 million years ago, which
was backed by reasonably solid scientific reasoning.

Which is the correct date? Who is this date attributable to? What
evidence do they use for this date?

Nancy Cavanaugh

"Enjoy Boredom. It's all you've got to look forward to." -- Eeyore