Re: Hypsilophodon foxii & wielandi

 --- Tommy Bradley <htomsirveaux@hotmail.com> wrote: >
Hi everybody,
> As usual, my question involves the inspiration for
> species names.
> The first is _Hypsilophodon foxii_ (two i's, right?)
>  I assume the name
> honors Reverend William Fox, who discovered the
> first known fossilized
> material of _Hypsilophodon_,

Yes, that's right. He was the Curate of Brighstone
Church, not far from where the famous "Hypsi beds" are
exposed at Brighstone bay. He also has a species of
Polacanthus named after him, as well as Calamosaurus
and Eucamerotus.

As to the i's, the original description gave it two
i's, whereas later authors only use one.

Simon M. Clabby

DinoWight - The Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight

=====
Find out about the dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight at
    DinoWight- the Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight
           http://www.geocities.com/dinowight