Re: Hypsilophodon foxii & wielandi

Pete Buchholz (Tetanurae@aol.com) wrote:

<If I recall correctly, the reason the species name is H. foxii rather
than H. foxi, is that Huxley Latinized  the name Fox to Foxius, and then
declined to foxii, rather than just declining Fox to foxi.  I am not sure
if this was  required at the time, but it seems to have been a fairly
common practice.>

  I think Galton "corrected" the name to "foxi" in an attempt to remove
"-ii" endings from trivial epithets. This "correction," if either his or
anyone else's, has been little cited (if real), but is likely in error.
The hemipteran *Sonierella foxii* (Vereck, 1902) was revised to *S. foxi*
by Strickland (1947) for the given reason by Pete.

=====
Jaime A. Headden