Re: extinction

>   I think the reference David may be thinking about is this:
>
>   Luck, J.M. and Turekian, K.K. 1983. Osmium-187/Osmium-186 in Manganese
>     Nodules and the Cretaceous-Tertiary Boundary. _Science_ 222: 613.

No, didn't know that. I was thinking about
http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2003Dec/msg00092.html. And the paper I've
presented there argues that most of Deccan volcanism, together with the
observable greenhouse it did produce, _was over_ 100,000 years before the
K-T boundary.
        Now at long last we know where the eternal gradualistic argument
comes from which says "it got cooler in the late Maastrichtian". It's
correct -- temperatures got back to normal.

> The volcanics give another
> possible source to the K/T event, but the presence argues that the
> inter-Trappean vert fauna would have to have bene rendered moot and
> imaginary for the extinction-level effects applied to it can be worked
> out, and this does not seem to be the case. If anything, the
> inter-Trappean beds show an extensive diversity of very large (several
> 40ft+ sauropods and ~30ft abelisaurs, smaller abelisaurs, mammals, birds,
> turtles, crocs)

Birds? That's new!