Re: extinction

>David Marjanovic > >> > If anything, the >> > inter-Trappean beds show an extensive diversity of very large (several >> > 40ft+ sauropods and ~30ft abelisaurs, smaller abelisaurs, mammals, birds, >> > turtles, crocs) >> >> Birds? That's new! > >Indeed it is. What's the reference for Mesozoic birds in India? > >Mickey Mortimer

As far as I know the only references to avian remains in the intertrappan deposits are:

Bajpai, S., Sahni, A. & Srinivasan, S. 1993. Ornithoid eggshells from Deccan intertrappean beds near Anjar (Kachchh) western India. Current Science (Bangalore) 64(1):42-45.

Abstract: We describe here the ornithoid eggshell fragments from the Deccan
intertrappean beds (Late Cretaceous) near Anjar, district Kachchh, Gujarat. The find assumes palaeobiogeographic significance as morphologically similar eggshells are known from
the Late Cretaceous Nemegt Formation of Mongolia. Taxonomic affinities (dinosaurian/avian) of these eggshells cannot be established at present.

Srinivasan, S. 1996. Late Cretaceous eggshells from the Deccan volcano-sedimentary sequences of central India. Memoirs, Geological Society of India 37:321-336.

Abstract: Four types of thin eggshells of dinosaurian and avian affinities are reported from the intertrappean sequences of Mohgaon-Kalan, Chhindwara District, Madhya Pradesh and the Lameta Formation of Dongargaon, Chadrapur District, Maharashtra, Central India. The morphological and microstructural characters of these 'very thin' eggshells namely (?) Hypselosaurus, indeterminate dinosaurian type and two types of avian eggshells are comparable with those from the Late Maastrichtain, Aix-en-Provence, France and some Mongolian eggshells. However, the abnormally thin nature of eggshells and the conspicuous absence of resorption craters shows that these eggs were under extreme environmental stress, primarily due to Deccan volcanism.

Kar-R-K; Srinivasan-S 1997. Late Cretaceous palynofossils from the Deccan Intertrappean beds of
Mohgaon-Kalan, Chhindwara District, Madhya Pradesh. Geophytology. 27; 1-2, Pages 17-22. 1997. Palaeobotanical Society. Lucknow, India. 1997.

Abstract: A Late Cretaceous palynofossil assemblage was recovered in association with a variety of dinosaur/avian egg shell fragments, ostracodes, molluscs, fishes and wood pieces from the Deccan
Intertrappean beds at a locality about 0.5 km west of the village Mohgaon-Kalan (79 degrees 11'E: 22 degrees 1'E) in Chhindwara District, Madhya Pradesh. The common species are: Ariadnaesporites sp., Gabonisporites vigourouxii Boltenhagen (1967), Spinizonocolpites Muller (1968), Matanomadhiasulcites
maximus Kar (1985), Bacutriporites orluensis Jan du Chene et al. (1978), Azolla cretacea Stanley (1965), Aquilapollenites bengalensis Baksi & Deb (1981), Triporoletes reticulatus (Pocock) Playford (1971) and Cicatricosisporites dorogensis Potonie' & Gelletich (1933).

Not very conclusive, though some of the eggs may very well be avian.

Tommy Tyrberg